In this article you will find the following:
Here’s how to remove Origin on your Mac:
- Locate the Origin launcher in your Applications
- Drag the launcher into your Trash bin
- Complete the process by emptying your Trash.
Old app files can sometimes get in the way of other software, which can be annoying, right? If Origin is hanging out on your Mac, and you're not really using it for gaming anymore, it might be time to free up that space for something else.
Meantime, uninstalling Origin isn't as simple as dragging it to the trash and emptying it. This method leaves behind leftover files on your Mac, which can take up space and potentially cause issues. To thoroughly remove Origin, you'd also need to find and delete these hidden files, so that no remnants are left behind.
Today, we’ll take you through the steps how to remove Origin from your MacBook to the full and keep it running smoothly. With our advice, navigating through your Mac to uninstall applications, like the Origin client, will be much easier.
BEFORE WE START
Looking to uninstall Origin and want it to be easy and clean? Use MacKeeper’s Smart Uninstaller. Why? It doesn’t just remove the app but also finds and deletes all those hidden leftover files, giving you back more space. It’s like a thorough digital spring clean with just a few clicks.
Here’s how to use MacKeeper’s Smart Uninstaller:
- Download MacKeeper.
- Launch the app and select Smart Uninstaller from the left pane.
- Select the app you wish to remove.
- Click Remove Selected.
What is the Origin app on Mac
Origin is a digital distribution platform by Electronic Arts (EA) that allows you to purchase, download, and play video games on your Mac.
Unlike other gaming platforms, it only has titles from Electronic Arts (EA). Even though it’s available for Mac users now, it’s been replaced by the EA app on Windows and might be in the future for Mac, too. So, for now, it's your direct line to EA games, but changes might be coming soon.
How to manually uninstall Origin from Mac
Here are the simple steps to uninstall Origin from your Mac:
- Open the Finder and navigate to the Applications folder.
- Locate the Origin app.
- Right-click on Origin and select Move to Trash.
- To free up storage, ensure to empty the Trash.
As you can see, saying goodbye to Origin on your Mac doesn’t have to be complicated. With just a few easy steps below, you can completely uninstall Origin on your Macbook and have that extra bit of free space. However, there’s some more for you to learn about it:
- Close Origin.
- Uninstall the Origin Client.
- Delete your Origin account on Mac.
- Delete Origin cache files on Mac.
1. Close Origin
Here’s how to quit Origin on Mac:
- Right-click the Origin icon in the Dock
- Choose Quit from the options.
Before you delete Origin off your Mac, you have to close it down. By taking this simple measure before uninstalling, you’ll avoid the possible blockers in the removal process.
2. Uninstall the Origin Client
Follow these steps to uninstall the Origin client on your MacBook:
- Locate Origin Client in Applications
- Drag it to the Trash
- Empty the Trash.
Easily free up some space on your Mac by removing Origin. Luckily, uninstalling the app only takes a few clicks.
3. Delete your Origin account on Mac
Deleting your Origin account involves a few more steps than just pressing a button, but it’s still a breeze.
- Visit the Origin official website and log into your account.
- Navigate to the Contact Us section.
- Choose your respective gaming platform.
- Select My Account and then click on Delete Account.
- Use the live chat window to inform technical support of your desire to delete your account.
4. Clear Origin cache files on Mac
Here’s your easy guide to clearing out the Origin cache:
- Open Finder on your Mac.
- Click on Go at the top, then Computer.
- Head into Macintosh HD, then Library, and Application Support.
- Find and click on the Origin folder.
- Drag the DownloadCache folder into your Trash.
- Don’t forget to empty the Trash.
When Origin clogs up your Mac with extra cache files, giving it a little clean can speed things back up. Next, we’ll show you how to clear the cache on your Mac.
Note from our experts:
Our tech-savvy team emphasizes that method #2 (uninstalling the Origin Client) and method #4 (clearing Origin cache files on Mac) can be seamlessly executed using the MacKeeper app. Let’s explore this.
Rather than manually dragging files to your Trash, MacKeeper’s Smart Uninstaller does the clean sweep in a click, ensuring all leftover files are gone, not just the application. This provides a thorough uninstall, freeing up more space on your Mac.
Instead of navigating through numerous folders to clear cache files, MacKeeper’s Safe Cleanup pinpoints and purges them for you. It aids in not just eliminating Origin cache but scanning and clearing all unnecessary cached files across your Mac, too.
Say goodbye to Origin and hello to space
What have you learned today? Uninstalling Origin on your Mac usually takes a few steps: finding it in your Applications, moving it to Trash, and then clearing those cache files to keep things running smoothly. But hey, sometimes taking each step one by one can be a bit of a trek, right?
That's where a helpful tool like MacKeeper comes in. Imagine not having to worry about finding all those hidden files, and just getting rid of an app with a simple click. MacKeeper’s Smart Uninstaller does just that—it finds Origin (or any app you want to say goodbye to) and makes sure it leaves no mess behind.
And let’s not forget about those sneaky cache files with the Safe Cleanup tool. Instead of digging through folders, it finds and clears out all the leftovers from Origin and other apps, keeping your Mac clean.
Price starts at $10.95/month