In 1976, Apple consisted of two college dropouts tinkering with computer parts in a garage, focused on the goal of creating a user-friendly computer.
Nobody could have guessed that Steve Jobs and Steve Wozniak would go on to revolutionize the computer industry.
Today, Apple is a household name creating products capable of enhancing every aspect of our lives. Millions of people walk the streets texting on their iPhones, checking the time on their Apple Watches, or asking Siri for directions to their next destination.
But just how successful is Apple in 2022?
To answer this question, we’ve compiled the latest Apple statistics about the company’s sales, user demographics, and revenue. Check out the data below to learn more.
- Apple is the world’s most valuable brand, worth $263.4 billion as of 2021
- Apple shipped over 228 million iPhones in 2021
- In Q1 2022, Apple’s iPhone sales accounted for 57.8% of the company’s overall revenue
- Apple was the leading smartwatch vendor, claiming 52.5% of the global smartwatch market share as of 2021
- The App Store generated a gross revenue of $85.1 billion through in-app purchases, subscriptions, and premium apps in 2021
Table of contents:
- General Apple stats
- Apple sales numbers are increasing
- Apple revenue breakdown by year
- Apple customer demographics
- iPhone statistics to look out for
- How many iPhones are sold per year?
- iPhone sales by country
- Active iPhone users worldwide
- iPad statistics
- Mac statistics
- Siri statistics
- Apple wearables, home, and services statistics
- How many people use Apple Pay?
- iPhone app statistics
- Apple security facts
- Interesting facts about Apple Inc
General Apple stats
In 2021 we saw Apple’s user base spread across the globe. Though older products like the iPad saw decreased sales, that didn’t stop Apple from becoming the world’s most valuable brand.
- Apple is the world’s most valuable brand, worth $263.4 billion as of 2021 (Brand Finance Global 500 2021)
- There are more than 1.65 billion active Apple devices as of 2021 (Reuters)
- Apple claimed 26% of the 5G smartphone market share in central and eastern Europe as of Q3 2021 (Strategy Analytics)
- There are 272 Apple Store locations across the U.S. as of 2021 (Statista)
- Apple Music has 78 million subscribers as of June 2021 (Statista)
- iOS accounted for 25% of the mobile operating system market, behind Android’s 70% market share (Statista)
Apple sales numbers are increasing
Apple’s profits soared in 2021. Its market cap rose and its presence in other countries strengthened. These numbers may reflect both the company’s innovative products and its security-first stance of protecting its users' online privacy.
- Apple’s 2021 net sales amounted to about $365.82 billion, making it the company’s most profitable year yet (Statista)
- Apple generated revenue of almost $1.9 million per employee as of 2019, making it the most effective tech company worldwide (Statista)
- Apple’s brand value surpassed both Amazon and Google in 2020 (Statista)
- Apple’s market cap rose to $2 trillion in 2020. This made Apple the U.S. tech company with the highest market cap (CNBC)
- Apple’s sales rose by 57% in China from 2020–2021 (Reuters)
- Apple’s home and wearables division grew by 25% in 2021 (Business of Apps)
Apple revenue breakdown by year
Apple saw a slight dip in sales in 2019, likely due to the coronavirus pandemic. In 2020–2021, the company’s revenue bounced back, increasing by more than a third.
- Apple generated $229 billion in revenue in 2017 (Business of Apps)
- Apple generated $265.4 billion in revenue in 2018 (Business of Apps)
- Apple generated $260.1 billion in revenue in 2019 (Business of Apps)
- Apple generated $274.3 billion in revenue in 2020 (Business of Apps)
- Apple generated $365.8 billion in revenue in 2021 (Business of Apps)
Apple customer demographics
While Android phones have overtaken iPhones in global popularity, there are certain demographics that prefer Apple. We’ve seen that the brand typically appeals more to younger audiences and has a predominantly female user base.
- 53% of all Apple users are under the age of 35 (Flurry)
- 66% of Apple device owners are female (Flurry)
- 34% of Apple device owners are male (Flurry)
- 58% of 18-to-34-year-olds use iPhones as of 2019 (Mercator Advisory Group)
- 38% of 35-to-54-year-olds use iPhones as of 2019 (Mercator Advisory Group)
- 28% of people aged 55 and older use iPhones as of 2019 (Mercator Advisory Group)
iPhone statistics to look out for
The iPhone revolutionized the mobile industry when it was first launched in 2007. Combining user-friendly features and a sleek design, the iPhone continues to be one of the most popular smart gadgets in the world.
- Apple shipped 40.4 million 5G iPhones globally in Q1 2021 (Strategy Analytics)
- iPhone shipments grew by 11.1% from 2020–2021 (Strategy Analytics)
- Apple has 15% of the smartphone market share (Canalys 2021)
- In Q1 2022, Apple generated about $71.63 billion in revenue from iPhone sales (Statista)
- From 2009 to 2018, Apple sold more than 1.5 billion iPhones (Statista)
How many iPhones are sold per year?
iPhone sales show no signs of slowing down, comprising more than half of Apple’s overall revenue in 2022. This product is one of the main reasons why Apple continues to be a tech giant.
- Apple shipped over 228 million iPhones in 2021 (Strategy Analytics)
- In Q1 2022, iPhone sales revenue reached a record high of $71 billion (Statista)
- Apple made 52.4 million iPhone shipments in Q1 2021 (Canalys)
- The iPhone claimed 22% of the global smartphone market share in Q4 2021 (Strategy Analytics)
- In Q1 2022, Apple’s iPhone sales accounted for 57.8% of the company’s revenue overall (Statista)
- iPhone sales increased by about 23% from 2020–2021 (Business of Apps)
iPhone sales by country
While the majority of iPhones are sold in the U.S., it’s becoming increasingly popular in other countries as well.
- 84.3 million iPhones were sold in the U.S. in 2021 (Business of Apps)
- 42.9 million iPhones were sold in China in 2021 (Business of Apps)
- 17.8 million iPhones were sold in Japan in 2021 (Business of Apps)
- 7.1 million iPhones were sold in the United Kingdom in 2019 (Finder.com)
Active iPhone users worldwide
Since there are over 1 billion iPhone users worldwide, that means more than 12% of the global population uses the device. This number is increasing as we see Apple attracting more users every year.
- There are over 1 billion iPhone users worldwide (Above Avalon)
- 47% of smartphone users in the U.S. are iPhone users (Statista)
- 63% of all iPhones use the latest version of iOS (Apple)
- Active iPhone users increased by approximately 18% from 2020–2021 (Business of Apps)
- Apple brings in approximately 20 million to 30 million new users per year (Above Avalon)
Our iPad statistics indicate that Apple is dominating the global tablet market. While the product only accounts for about 5% of the company’s revenue, Apple was the top tablet vendor of 2021.
- iPad sales generate approximately $31 billion in yearly revenue (Statista)
- iPad revenue accounted for 5.8% of Apple’s total revenue in Q1 2022 (Statista)
- Apple claimed 31.4% of the global tablet market share as of Q1 2021 (IDC)
- Apple shipped more tablets than any other company in Q1 2021 (IDC)
- iPad shipments amounted to 12.7 million in Q1 2021 (IDC)
While the Mac originally debuted in 1984, our Mac statistics indicate that its user base still stands strong today.
- Apple Mac computers generated around $10.8 billion in revenue in Q1 2022 (Statista)
- Apple had 8.5% of the PC market share in Q2 2021 (Canalys PC Market Pulse Q4 2021)
- Apple shipped more than 6.6 million MacBooks during Q4 2021, an all-time record (Strategy Analytics)
- Apple’s Mac and tablet shipments grew by 28.3% from 2020–2021 (Canalys PC Market Pulse Q4 2021)
If you’re a Mac user yourself, make sure you browse securely with a Mac VPN. VPNs encrypt your information, thereby keeping your online activity away from prying eyes.
Siri is known as the first virtual assistant to be installed on a smartphone and has since ushered in a new era of AI-powered technology. We found that Siri mostly appeals to the younger generation and is tied for the title of most popular voice assistant.
- Siri holds 36% of the voice assistant market share (Microsoft 2019 Voice Report)
- Siri and Google Assistant are tied for the title of most popular voice assistant (Microsoft 2019 Voice Report)
- The average answer length returned by Siri for local intent queries is 15 words (SEMrush Voice Search 2020)
- Siri is able to answer 98% of questions asked by users (SEMrush Voice Search 2020)
- 60% of users between 18 and 24 years old chose Siri as their preferred voice assistant (Statista)
Apple wearables, home, and services statistics
While Apple once focused solely on computers, the company now features products and services for every aspect of our lives. Through the Apple Watch, AirPods, Apple TV, and the HomePod, the company continues to expand into new industries.
- Apple had 52.5% of the global smartwatch market share as of 2021, making it the leading smartwatch vendor (Strategy Analytics)
- Apple shipped approximately 9.5 million Apple Watch units globally in Q2 2021 (Strategy Analytics)
- Apple shipped approximately 4 million HomePod units in Q3 2021 (Strategy Analytics)
- Apple Watch shipments increased by 46% from Q2 2020–Q2 2021 (Strategy Analytics)
- Apple Music accounts for 19% of music streaming subscribers globally as of Q1 2021 (Statista)
- Apple TV+ claims 2% of the global TV streaming platform market share as of Q1 2020 (Strategy Analytics)
- Apple held 28.8% of the wearable market share as of 2021 (Statista)
- Apple sold 110 million AirPods in 2020 (Business of Apps)
- Apple had 10.2% of the global smart speaker and smart display market share in Q3 2021 (Strategy Analytics)
How many people use Apple Pay?
As the pandemic encouraged a rise in contactless payments, Apple Pay has increased in popularity, dominating the mobile wallet industry.
- There are approximately 441 million Apple Pay users worldwide as of 2019 (Statista)
- Approximately 49% of global iPhone users have activated Apple Pay as of 2019 (Statista)
- 70% of merchants accept Apple Pay as of 2021 (PYMNTS)
- 43.5% of consumers have devices capable of supporting Apple Pay (PYMNTS)
- Apple Pay holds more than 90% of the mobile wallet market share in the U.S. (Statista)
iPhone app statistics
When it comes to the App Store, millions of active apps are available, yielding billions of downloads each year. According to our iPhone app statistics, gaming and business apps reign supreme.
- The App Store generated a gross revenue of $85.1 billion through in-app purchases, subscriptions, and premium apps in 2021 (Statista)
- There are more than 4.7 million active apps available for download on the App Store (PocketGamer)
- The average price of an App Store app is 88 cents (PocketGamer)
- Gaming is the most popular app category on the App Store with more than 1 million active apps (PocketGamer)
- Business apps were the second most popular category in the App Store, accounting for 10.7% of active apps (Statista)
- There were 8.3 billion App Store downloads in Q4 2021 (Sensor Tower’s Data Digest)
- More than 180 billion apps have been downloaded from the App Store since its release (Statista)
Apple security facts
Although Apple is a security-first company, it has had its fair share of security vulnerabilities. Luckily, there are a number of ways to protect yourself against data breaches.
- Apple offers rewards of up to $1 million to hackers who find and report iPhone and Mac vulnerabilities (Apple)
- There have been 5,462 published vulnerabilities for Apple products since the company was founded (CVE Details)
- There were 360 published iOS vulnerabilities in 2021 (CVE Details)
- Apple is suing NSO Group, the organization behind Pegasus spyware (Apple)
- Apple contributed $10 million to support cyber surveillance advocates and researchers in 2021 (Apple)
- 37% of Apple users surveyed were extremely concerned about their data being tracked online (Statista)
Interesting facts about Apple Inc.
Since Apple is a large-scale brand, you could ask an endless amount of questions about the company. We’ve answered some of the most common questions below.
Will Apple release a new phone in 2022?
In recent years, new versions of the iPhone have been announced on an annual basis, meaning Apple will likely unveil the iPhone 14 in 2022.
Where are iPhones made?
iPhones are assembled in factories located in China, Malaysia, South Korea, Thailand, and the Czech Republic.
How many products does Apple have in 2022?
Apple has eight main active product types, excluding accessories. It has a total of over 100 products when you add up the different versions of each product and available accessories. If you include discontinued products, Apple has released a total of more than 200 products.
Apple has experienced rapid growth this past year. The company saw increases in overall revenue, its user base, and iPhone sales, while continuing to dominate the tablet and smartwatch industries. Going into 2022, we’re likely to see this trend continue.
Whether you’re a tech enthusiast or a marketer gathering data, the above Apple statistics are a great source of information about the company. As you browse, remember to make the most of our Mac cleaner and antivirus products to optimize your computer’s performance while also protecting your data.