How to Create a Slideshow on a Mac
Making slideshows is a fascinating, creative process. You can use your Mac to add a video or audio track to the slideshow, sign a photo, insert pictures, or other visual effects and transitions. You can view the resulting videos on your Apple devices and share them with your contacts or on social networks.
Not sure how to make a slideshow on your Mac? Sometimes you just need a little hint on how to start. There are many ways to create a slideshow using both pre-installed programs and third-party applications.
Did you know that the Preview app can be used not only for viewing photos and other files but for creating slideshows as well? Another popular app for creating and editing your videos in iMovie, and it will also serve you for creating slideshows.
To create quick slideshows or videos you want to give a special style and mood, use Apple Photos. Using this program as an example, let us see how you can create a slideshow on a Mac.
- Play an instant slideshow
- Create a slideshow project
- Add or remove photos and text
- Make a slideshow with music
How to play an instant slideshow on a Mac
To quickly play a slideshow of photos for a day, adding music and themes, use the Photos program.
Here’s a step-by-step guide:
1. Open the Photos app on your Mac and select Photos from the sidebar
2. In the Photos section, select the pictures that you want to make a slideshow with
3. Click File > Play Slideshow, or right-click on the selected images and select Play Slideshow from the drop-down menu
4. In the Themes menu, select the appropriate theme
5. Select Music to add audio
6. When you're done with the settings, select Play Slideshow
Using the keyboard, you can control the viewing: forward and backward arrows for the corresponding transition between slides, Space for pausing and continuing the slideshow, Escape to exit the viewing.
Creating a slideshow project
To create a more complex video with advanced settings and playback options control, use the slideshow project feature.
In this case, you can group any photos, add text, music, adjust the duration of the photo display, save and export the video for viewing on other devices.
1. Open the Photos application and select the photos you need to create the slideshow
2. Choose File > Create > Slideshow > Photos
3. In the menu that appears, select New Slideshow
4. Enter the name of your new project and click OK
At the bottom of the application window, you can change the order in which photos are shown by simply dragging them to their desired location.
At any time during the editing process, you can change the theme by clicking on Theme and selecting the most suitable option based on your preferences. The theme defines such visual effects as the transition between slides, the placement, and font of the text, the effect of zooming in on a photo during the slideshow.
In the Duration menu, adjust the duration of the slideshow by dragging the time slider to one side. The duration of the slideshow can be adjusted depending on the duration of the music track by selecting Fit to Music. In the Custom settings menu, you can set the duration by dragging the slider to the desired position.
Set transitions in the corresponding drop-down menu and they will be applied to all the photos in the slideshow.
Select the Scale photos to fit the screen option if the photos require resizing.
The Loop menu will make the slideshow play continuously, and after the last frame,, it will automatically start again from the first photo.
To preview the results, click Preview. Clicking Preview again will stop the viewing.
The Play button will start showing your project. To exit the slideshow, you need to click the Escape button.
Adding or removing photos and text in a slideshow
The slideshow can be edited at any time after its creation. You can add or remove photos, or add text to them.
1. To add photos or text to a slideshow, open the Photos application on your MacBook and select your slideshow project in the sidebar
2. To add a new picture to the slideshow, click on the Plus button in the bottom right corner and select Add Photos from the drop-down menu
3. To delete a photo from the slideshow, select the photo and click Delete
4. To add text, open the advanced editing tool by double-clicking on the image of your choice
5. In the top right corner, click on the button with three dots and select Markup from the drop-down menu. This will turn off the live photo mode
6. To add a text box simply press on the text box button in the top menu. Change the font, colour, and size of the text
7. Press Save Changes when you’re done
When you are adding a Live Photo to a slideshow, keep in mind that it will be shown as a static picture.
How to make a slideshow with music on a Mac
You can add music from your iTunes library to slideshows. To do this, when working on a slideshow project, select Music in the settings. This menu gives you access to the music library from where you can add audio to your video track.
If the Music menu doesn’t show your library, make sure you’re signed in with your Apple ID. If synchronization fails, close the Photos app and log in to your iTunes account again. Open the photo app > Music again.
How to delete a slideshow?
After you export the slideshow, it will be saved in the folder that you have chosen in the process. To delete a video, select it and move it to the trash, or click the Delete button.
Can I add animations to my slideshows?
When you are using the photo program to create a slideshow, keep in mind that animated files or Live Photos will be displayed as static pictures.
Can I share my slideshow on social media?
When you save a slideshow project, it is saved in the video clip format. By choosing the appropriate video format, you will be able to share the video in any convenient way, including posting it on your social network pages.
How do I export my slideshow as a video?
- When exporting a slideshow, the Photos app creates a video in the format you select.
- In the slideshow project viewing window, select the Export button in the top right corner. Or go to File > Export > Export Slideshow
- Select Save As and enter the name of your video
- In the pop-up menu, select the desired format. Depending on the purpose of the slideshow, it is worth remembering that the larger the viewing screen, the higher is the video resolution you need to select to keep it high quality
- 480p is enough for smartphones, and 720p or 1080p is required for viewing the slideshow on large screens
- Select the folder to save the video on your MacBook and click Save
- How to Take Video on a Mac: An Ultimate Guide
- How to Change Your Mac Lock Screen
- How to Take a Screenshot on a Mac