In this article you will find the following:
To proceed with Python removal on your Mac:
- Open Finder > Applications.
- Look for Python.
- Find the version of Python you want to delete.
- Press Control + Command and choose Move to Trash, or drag and drop the file into your Trash folder.
Python is one of the most popular programming languages, and it’s a must-know for many developers around the world. But at the same time, one may wish to remove Python from Mac for several reasons. Maybe you’re having a career change, for example, and no longer need the language on your device. Alternatively, you might be switching to Java, NodeJS, or another programming language.
Regardless of your reason, you must take the correct steps to ensure that you don’t cause damage to how your Mac functions. The good news is that you have a few options to delete Python from Mac, and I’ll show you three separate methods today.
Before we start
Although you can uninstall Python and other apps manually, the process is often more time-consuming. Why? Because you have to manually find the file and follow various uninstall prompts. Thankfully, MacKeeper’s Smart Uninstaller solution can simplify the process and delete other needless files—such as duplicates.
To use MacKeeper’s Smart Uninstaller:
- Download MacKeeper.
- Go to Security > Smart Uninstaller.
- Select Start Scan.
- Tick the folders for Python when you see them.
- Tap Remove Selected, and when the popup window appears, select Remove.
- Wait for the program to delete.
What is Python used for
Python is used for various development protocols, such as building new apps or websites. You can also use the programming language for data analysis, process automation, and AI implementation. Furthermore, Python helps create apps.
With 15.7 million users as of 2023, Python is the second most popular programming language in the world behind Java. Hence, you might have Python on macOS for several reasons:
- You work for a company that uses Python as its official programming language.
- You’re a freelance coder who works with businesses that use Python for building their apps and websites.
- You have Python without even wanting it on your Mac as many devices have the language pre-installed.
How to remove Python from Mac manually
One of the most common ways to uninstall Python on Mac is to use the Finder app. Doing so is an easy option if you don’t know how to use Terminal.
Here’s how to remove Python from Mac with Finder:
- Go to Finder > Applications.
- Look for the versions of Python that you want to remove.
- Drag and drop these versions into the Trash. Alternatively, click Command + Trackpad and choose Move to Trash/Bin.
- Go to your Trash folder and select Empty.
In addition to learning how to clean uninstall Python from Mac, you may also want to discover how to uninstall Anaconda on Mac.
How to uninstall Python from macOS with Terminal
Besides using Finder, you can also uninstall Python on Mac with Terminal:
- Open Terminal.
- Type sudo rm -rf /Library/Frameworks/Python.framework to remove Python to the full.
Hint from our experts:
Alternatively, you might want to remove individual versions of Python. In this case, indicate its corresponding number this way: type sudo rm -rf /Library/Frameworks/Python.framework/Versions/[version number].
Do you need to delete other programming languages? Check how to uninstall Node on Mac if it makes sense to you.
How to delete Python using Homebrew
Another easy method you can try is to uninstall Python on Mac with Homebrew:
- Open Terminal and type brew list.
- Type brew uninstall python@[version name] and press the Enter key.
- Write brew cleanup python@[version name] and press Enter after uninstalling Python from your Mac.
After following these steps, you can consider checking out the top Notepad++ equivalent for Mac as these apps can help you code without needing to purchase a non-Apple computer.
How to delete Python using Smart Uninstaller
In addition to the methods already mentioned, MacKeeper’s Smart Uninstaller is another tool you can use to delete Python easily. Here are the steps you should follow for this option:
- Open MacKeeper and go to Cleaning > Smart Uninstaller.
- Click on Start Scan.
- Go to Applications and tick the boxes next to Python.
- Tap Remove Selected.
- Select Remove when the pop-up window appears.
Clear Python from your Mac with comfort
You don’t need to do a huge amount to successfully remove Python from Mac. Uninstalling the language from your device in a safe and efficient manner will help to ensure that you don’t run into problems hindering how your computer performs in the future.
If you want to quickly and effectively remove Python from your device, you can always consider using MacKeeper’s Smart Uninstaller. The program will safely remove all leftovers too, such as preferences and containers. As a result, you’ll free up space that was otherwise needlessly consumed.
Price starts at $10.95/month