Subscribe for our latest security news and tips and get your 15% discount!
Question of the Week: How to Remove Unwanted Browser Toolbars and Plugins?
Whether installed by accident or not, unwanted toolbars have turned the browsing of many Internet users into an unpleasant experience. Instead of getting to the home page you are redirected to a random site, or you are obliged to look at the unneeded toolbar that interferes with your ability to browse the web.
In fact, toolbars are not malicious, that's why most antiviruses do not mark them as potentially dangerous. However, since they are annoying and unwanted, we've prepared the guide on how to remove toolbars from your browser.
How the toolbars and plugins get installed
Some free programs that you find online include add-ons like toolbars and plug-ins. This helps the developer of the program make some money, but it's a pain for the user. Most of the time, these add-ons are labeled, and you can choose not to install them.
How to remove toolbars from Safari
1. Click the Safari drop-down menu and choose Preferences.
2. Click the Extensions tab.
3. Highlight the toolbar that you want to remove and click Uninstall.
4. Restart Safari.
How to remove toolbars from Google Chrome
1. In the upper-right corner of the browser window, click the icon and select Settings.
2. Click Extensions.
3. Disable or completely delete the unwanted toolbars.
How to remove toolbars from Mozilla Firefox
1. Open the menu bar of the browser and select Add-ons.
2. Browse or search the Extensions and Plugin lists for any unwanted toolbars.
3. Remove or disable any unwanted toolbars.
How to remove toolbars from Opera
1. Click the upper-left corner of the browser window and select Extensions.
2. Click Manage Extensions.
3. Find and delete any toolbars that you don't think should be there.
4. Restart the browser.
Otherwise, you can make a browser reset that will restore your browser to its default settings and disable all toolbars as well. Be careful with this action because together with unwanted plugins the browser reset will wipe out all personal settings, such as passwords, add-ons, and bookmarks. Make sure that you remember all important data or use password manager to access your email and favorite sites.